My photo
I am married to Glen, we have five beautiful daughters, and we live in a small town of approximately 12,500 people.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

RANDOM THOUGHTS - Being Friendly


I value good friends. Not because they agree with me all the time but because they know how to share their differences without getting all huffy and unreasonable. They know how to celebrate with me when times are good or help console me when times get rough.

My best friend is my husband. He knows how animated I can get if I am excited about something. He doesn't need to say much. He knows my heart, what matters most to me. He loves me and cares for me. I value this far above the price of rubies.

I have lots of friends. So many that I don't remember all their names. I admit, most of them are members of my church. It happens. When you move to different communities and you go to your new church building, you make new friends. I have moved a lot. Let's see, I have been a member of 2 branches and 17 wards, if I add my mission experience in Arizona.

I have taught countless children in various Primaries. I am now serving my third time as a Cub leader. I love to teach the children. They look up to you, count on you, and teach you right back! I understand why the Saviour said "Suffer the little children to come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven".

Yes, children can be naughty. But they are much more teachable than us adults. They know right from wrong quite clearly. I tested my class on that today and they passed with flying colours. It was part of today's lesson actually. It's too bad that in growing up they face such a changing world, one that is full of un-Christlike behaviour.

Our kids need to be strong if they are to withstand the pressures of our day and remain the good people they really wanted to grow up into. Their best defense is provided by parents who take the time to be a postive role model, spend time with them collectively and individually, and provide for their basic needs.

I have friends that are amazing role models to their teenage counterparts. I love their youthful exuberance. Last week the young women in our ward held a mock pep rally. It was so much fun to be there as a parent to my youngest daughters, young teenagers themselves now. They know that they are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves them. This knowledge strengthens them when they are challenged in making right choices.

I love my friends. They come in all ages and sizes. We support each other, we grow in wisdom and knowledge together. What more could I ask of my friends.

No comments: