My photo
I am married to Glen, we have five beautiful daughters, and we live in a small town of approximately 12,500 people.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

RANDOM THOUGHTS - Lost and Found

I remember the time I lost my wallet in downtown Edmonton. I was dropping off some fundraising dollars I had collected for an agency. I had my daughter Brenda with me at the time. I was carrying her in a special bunting bag I had made. When I got home I realized my wallet was no longer in my coat pocket.

I was very unhappy about the situation. I had to cancel my credit card, get a new licence, the whole ball of wax. Life went on. And then one year later I had a phone call from my bank, the downtown branch. Someone had found my wallet and they wanted to return it to me. It matched my description and my money was still there too! Unbelievable.

How did it stay lost for so long and then find it's way back to me? I remember trying to hold the fundraising kits and Brenda at the same time. I imagined that I must have dropped it in the building elevator, into some sort of crevice. Then a year later, while getting serviced, someone found it and brought it to the closest branch of my bank. It was my only explanation.

Well, last night my middle daughter called to report that her wallet had been stolen while she was working. Now she had no driver's ID, credit card, OneCard/bus pass ... how could she prove who she was to get them replaced? She had cancelled her Visa card right away so that was good. But she still had books to buy for one of her new university courses.

I agreed to meet with her this morning and to bring her birth certificate with me. I would vouch for her, they could use my proven identity to do that, if they wanted. It meant a change in my plans for the day but that was easily arranged, which is another reason why I love being a stay-at-home mom. And it felt like this would be a good learning experience for both of us.

Shortly before leaving the house I had an unexpected phone call. Well, actually the call was for my daughter. The young lady on the line said they had found her wallet, just outside the Strathcona Hotel and merely a block or two from both her home and her job. So I called and told her the good news, and where she could retrieve it. Wow, can you believe that? What timing!

No comments: